Compassionate Child Support Lawyers in Grand Rapids Give Your Family the Resources It Needs
Work with a family law attorney in Grand Rapids to secure the future of your children
After your divorce, one of your primary concerns is likely how you can financially support yourself and your children. At Grand Rapids Law Group, our caring attorneys seek to maximize the amounts of child and spousal support you receive following your divorce. We believe in honest and courteous service and stay closely connected with you throughout your legal proceedings to keep you calm and ensure that we always meet your needs.
Numerous factors affect the amount of support you can receive
Spousal support and child support are similar in that both are means to help you provide for yourself and your children after a divorce. However, while you generally have an automatic right to child support, the amount of spousal support you receive (if any at all) depends on a variety of factors. Some of these intersect with factors impacting child support, while others are specific to alimony.
The following are things that may impact the child support or alimony you receive:
- Your current earnings. For both child support and alimony, the less money you make, the more money you receive through support to cover the costs of raising your children and maintain your previous standard of living.
- Length of the marriage. The longer the marriage, the more spousal support you are likely to receive. This is particularly true for divorces between older couples, as your lawyer can argue that it is tougher for you to find more lucrative employment at an advanced age.
- Medical or special needs. If you or your children have any medical or special needs, the judge is likely to award you more money through support.
- The number of children you have. In most cases, the more children you have, the more child support you receive.
- Fault in marriage breakdown. We seek evidence that proves that your spouse was at fault in the breakdown of your marriage, which may make you eligible to receive more money through spousal support.
Work with a Grand Rapids family law attorney to obtain the money you need to support your children and yourself as you move forward after your divorce.
Call our Grand Rapids family law lawyers today
Call Grand Rapids Law Group today at 877-842-6812 or contact us online to schedule a consultation. Our attorneys serve the citizens of western Michigan from our offices on 28th Street in Grand Rapids. Feel free to schedule evening and weekend visits by appointment.